While the first showers after summer will bring a well-deserved respite from the scorching heat, the gloomy monsoon weather can dampen your spirits. If your home isn’t ready for the dull aura of time, it can turn dark, so now is the perfect time to give it a facelift.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Toby Thomas, Marketing Director at Bethliving, listed 4 DIY tips to give your home a refreshing touch this monsoon:
1. Revive your balcony – The balcony is the best place to enjoy the rains. By adding flower pots and poufs to your balcony, you can easily add a touch of monsoon. Plan a cute little table to put your books and coffee on. To keep your home rust free, the use of stainless steel furniture is strongly advised.
2. Bring old wine bottles to life – Flowers and plants have a way of making a space upbeat and positive. Use empty spaces with new vases, turn old wine bottles into planters and decorate your house with beautiful flowers to give it a fresh feeling. It will bring freshness to your interior.
3. Water sensitivity of your household furniture – In the monsoon period, humidity increases the risk of furniture warping. it is better to opt for furniture that has zero water sensitivity or low water sensitivity. We will always advise steel furniture which is all season furniture.
4. Focus on windows – Coolness comes through the window. A place should be made for the swing or recliner. Curtains in contrasting colors or butterflies can be added to the windows as decorations.
Adding to the list of decorating tips for this romantic season, architect and interior designer Paushika Gupta, founder of Paushika Gupta Architecture+Design, suggested:
1. The exterior configuration – Create a visual treat in partially shaded areas like a balcony or porch – by simply planting some green plants and keeping rattan furniture or leather furniture that is durable in nature. You can repaint a section or just put a green carpet, to create an illusion of walking in the greens outside. Well, if your balcony is spacious enough, you can opt for a beautiful macrame swing that suits the mood well. Brighten up the space with a dim lighting scheme – this will surely set the mood to enjoy the rains!
2. Increase the play of colors – As the weather is generally gloomy outside, the house seems a little darker than usual. Using bright accents to accent dull areas is probably the best bet. Notes of green, ocher yellow or madness with fuchsia pink! Your monsoon palette can be implemented on walls, upholstery, wall decor, or even rugs and mats. Interesting patterns can be created with curtains in the room – setting up a table theme with interesting pieces can also add flavor to your view.
3. Large mosquito nets – What a game to welcome the monsoon while you rest at ease and enjoy the view from inside the house. Large windows with clear glass panels allow us to take in the rain-washed views. Customize the place with your nearby work-from-home setup, or accent the space with a nice chair or swing. Add more visual treats by adding pastel linen curtains against windows or doors – what a picturesque sight!
4. Upholstery – Go for it by choosing tropical and bold prints for your home upholstery – immediately enhancing the ambiance of the home. Adding bright colors will instantly take away the blues that inhabit the interior of the house. It’s like a breath of fresh air indoors! A bright change from the usual blues to pep up the mood.
5. Cuddle corners – Enjoying the rain outside is the ultimate feeling of joy – if it equates to romance, no one would probably come out! Locate a space inside your home and design a corner – decorate it with warm lights, a linen fabric canopy and soft cushions. DIY a cozy corner in no time during the mating season. Light some decorative candles together and add some romance to the air!
Insisting that interior design should be seen from a holistic perspective, Gabriel Gil, head of design and innovation at Bonito Designs, advised that colors, textures and other elements should go hand in hand and give a balanced feel. He recommended:
1. Add colors – Bright colors instantly lift your mood, especially when it’s raining. Choose 3 color schemes that match your personality and work with them. A bold color for the wall behind the sofa and another for accent pieces like sofas/chairs will add flamboyance. The final color should be for the accessories. This three color formula is foolproof and will work in any combination or theme and reflect your mood and personality.
2. Textures are your best friend – Use textures and patterns in various colors to brighten up the room. However, consider your lifestyle before choosing textiles. If you have pets or children, darker tones will work better than lighter tones. For a luxurious look, high-end silk draperies and pillows exude elegance. If your home receives less sunlight, opt for sheer curtains and lighter shades to avoid darkening the room.
3. Focus on furniture – When it comes to furniture, your sofa, coffee table, etc. are the most important accent pieces, the sofa usually being the star of the living room. But if you can’t change the sofa to complement your decor and walls, throw pillows will do wonders to spruce up the space.
4. Accessories and illustrations – To bring out the colors in your living room, you can add photos of your family or art photos of your choice. You can also get an ottoman or floor pillow to accessorize. On the other hand, in the bedroom, make sure that the main element is the bed, and that attention is not diverted from it.
5. Doors are underrated – The saying “The first impression is the best impression” is said with good reason. Your doors will impress visitors. Although most doors come from the apartment or house contractor, you can change or paint them to match your ambiance.